Monday, August 11, 2008

A summer of lessons...

This has been one of the greatest summers for me! The thing I love most in this world are my boys (and Bryan) and I love being their mom. God has blessed me more than I deserve because they are two of the most precious beings on the planet.
Raleigh is perfect. Well, OK, he does have his moments. But, he is extremely loving, always polite, charming and such a great big brother. I keep waiting for the "terrible" somethings, but I think I must have to wait until the teen years, because we haven't gone through many rocky paths with him so far. I think he may have gone into time out once this whole summer. That is how great he his!
And Hudson, what can I say, he is a love bug! So spunky and funny, he already knows what he wants. He is such an easy baby and I have had so much fun watching him grow and learn about the world this summer. He is really wanting to crawl, but hasn't quite figured it out yet. He loves his brother and is so happy just to sit on the floor with him and watch him play with his trains.
We have gone for swims in the pool, played on the playground, stomped through mud puddles, taken naps, watched more Backyardigans than I care to think about, and have enjoyed evenings at the local D'lites ice cream shop. I feel like I have just relaxed with them for the first time. Which leads me to the things I have learned during this summer away from teaching:
1. It is OK if the house is a mess and toys are covering the living room floor. It means that there was fun and learning happening.
2. When Raleigh says, "Will you lay with me for a minute" at bedtime, it is best to do it. Because one day, he won't want me to lay with him anymore.
3. It is important to kiss every boo boo the kids get. Even the littlest of bumps. Raleigh always says, "All better" and it melts me every time to think that I have that much power.
4. Even though Hudson can hold his own bottle laying in any number of places, I should take the opportunity to just sit with him while he eats (instead of cleaning), because he will be going so fast in every direction in a short while, and I won't have the opportunity.
5. If you don't make a "To Do" list for the summer, you can't be disappointed when nothing gets done. My house is exactly as dirty as it was at the beginning of the summer, but for the first time, I don't really care. I think I have grown up a lot and I understand where my priorities are now. My family. I am nothing with out them. And nobody cares how clean and organized my house is anyway.
My wonderful children and husband, thanks for a great summer! I love you boys more than you can ever imagine and I am so honored to be your mom. Your the best thing that's ever happened to me...



7 comments:

Hannah said...

Oh Les, that was just so sweet, I have tears in my eyes! You are such a good mom and such a beautiful woman! All three of your boys are very very blessed to have you in their lives.

love you ever so much!
H

Anonymous said...

I knew you would figure that out! Life is so precious and it goes by so quickly! I love watching both you and Jen with your children. You are making memories with your guys now that will carry you through when they get older and have children of their own. You are a wonderful daughter and mother and wife! I couldn't be more proud of you!
Love,
Mom

Jill said...

the oohs and aahs keep coming as Sam and I sit here and read your blog of summerness. We loved hearing your lessons learned. We all recount our blessings when hearing someone else's. Have a great year, and kiss those boys again.

The Russ Family said...

I'm glad you figured it out first for both of us. It is very true. It is just perfection (in our house especially) is bred deep inside of us. :-) It is hard. I wonder how Mom did it all those years? It must be her Ya-ya magic. Love you!!!

The Cannon Chronicles said...

Wow, what a sweet post! You are a good mommy and those boys are lucky!

Jeanne said...

Leslie, that is just way mushy wonderful sweet stuff! It's so true. A little while back I felt like God told me to let my home look lived in! Funny, huh. Good Lord knows it's lived in. I just spend way too much time trying to make it look like a model home! I'm still working on that! I LOVE this post!!!!

Anonymous said...

you got it down Les- When addie wakes up on the wrong side of the crib:) I cherish rocking her and making her feel better....those are the best moments!