Saturday, August 16, 2008

New Year...New Dots...






The following is the story of how I came to spend my days with Polka Dots:
(These are pics from my classroom and Me and my intern Jenna.)
A few years ago, I decorated my room like any normal teacher, with posters. At the end of the year I covered them up and asked my students what was on them. No one really knew. From that day forward I decided that I would set up the room and decorate it in a way that was more appealing and inviting to be in. No more ugly posters for me! I decided 2 years ago when I moved into my brand new classroom to put polka dots on the wall for decoration. The next year I did the same but used a pad of scrapbooking paper instead of plain construction paper to make my dots as well as the labels on all of my bins and cubbies and anything else that I used colored paper for. So my room always has a color theme. The last 2 years I have had a very girl friendly print. So, I decided that this year, I would please the boys. I have kept my dots, but am now using boy colors and patterns. I retired my last years print to my sister! They were too pretty to throw away. I think that my classroom is cozy and makes people want to stay and hang out for a while. It has come to be know as "The Polka Dot" room. And that is the story of my classroom...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, I love this idea! It is true that kids rarely notice what's on the poster anyway. Great stuff!

crystalannie said...

by the way, how do you fix it on the wall? I found bluetak doesn't really last long enough and wonder if you have better idea?

The Russ Family said...

Love your room sis. Sorry I forgot to give you props for using your polka dots this year on my blog. The post was for you anyway. You are the best teacher in the world and I couldn't do what I do without all your support and hand-me-downs!! Love you bunches. Now...off to my classroom today. School starts tomorrow.

The Russ Family said...

By the way......who is that hot, skinny 5th grade teacher standing next to your intern???? :-) Love you, Sis!

Jill said...

Love the dots...never expected anything less than current decorating ideas from those Wallace girls...hey I have a book of yours I found cleaning out my old school stuff the other day...The Big Sur. Have a great fun year, pass on some of your ideas to me too, one can never have too many.

The Cannon Chronicles said...

Love it, super cute! Good luck with your class, I hope you have an awesome year!

Patti said...

I'm so glad you included photos of your room. I was curious what it looked like this year. It looks fun. By the way, you look GREAT!

Jeanne said...

Your room is so stinking cute! You're so boy minded. Maybe you owe that to Raleigh and Hudson.:) What a good teacher you are! My room was always springtime and girlie girl! Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog. It really meant a lot to me! Love you girl
By the way...you look beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Love your room and story! Never knew that:) You are so creative. The kids that get you don't know how lucky they are!!! Miss you- Al